Thursday, January 14, 2010

The News just isn't the same anymore

I tend not to watch a lot of local news. Living close to a big city, the news is full of shootings, fires, accidents and murders. I can't handle that.

The same is true of international news. It is much easier to bury ones head in the sand than it is to truly reflect on the life experiences of those living in tragic situations.

Since I have become a mother, I have felt the impact of the news all the more.

Haiti's earthquake is simply devastating. Seeing pictures on New York Times of injured children, scared parents and dead bodies puts me over the edge. There is a tendency we all have to simply click away from the New York Times and click on over to facebook where our friends complain about traffic, the cable guy not showing, etc. Then again, sitting there crying your eyes out looking at childrens' faces doesn't 'help' either. We can make a difference with our dollars. Some of us will go over and help out.

It is devastating. And as a parent, I see the whole world through a different lens. I cry seeing the images. I think about what it must be like to hold my own injured baby and have no way of helping him/her. Or going to bed in the street with my entire neighborhood out of fear that the buildings will shake again and we may be buried alive. One article spoke about spontaneous singing of the people- they were singing a hymn calling on God to help them. I don't know what to do with information like this.

Except to join them in thier pleas and prayers.

1 comment:

Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

I can't handle that stuff anymore, either. Even television shows like Extreme Makeover:Home in which the little girl in the family has cancer make me cry through half the episode. I haven't been able to bring myself to look at any pictures of the devastation in Haiti, either. One plan we made was to donate to organizations that specifically work with children, like UNICEF. That makes the heart of this mother feel a little better.