Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another First

Last night Seren and I had a great time playing from the time I got home at 4:45 until 6:15. Then it got ugly. We are getting a lot of back talk. A lot of rude, non listening behavior. A lot of calling her brother 'stupid' and 'bad boy'. It is driving me up the wall.

And I feel like I am not quite being an effective parent with my discipline. Time outs ceased to be effective about a year ago. Now we start taking her dollies as punishment. But that is kinda lame too. (Although it is effective). I'm playing with the idea of marks on a piece of paper and if there are fewer marks, she gets a sticker. If there are more, she gets something taken away.

I don't know. I haven't researched this. I'd be open to ideas. All of this 'stupid' talk really gets to me.

ANYWAY, this is all to say that she was driving me nuts last evening. And vice versa.

She turns to me and says with anger spewing from her lips, "I can't wait to grow up and move out of here. I HATE living here!"
I tried my hardest not to laugh. I succeeeded. I calmly said, "I understand you are angry. That's ok to be mad."

"Yay, and Wyeth, when you grow up, do you want to come too!?"

Ahh...another first. Growing up is so bittersweet.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ugh, it must be a developmental thing. Rude, non listening behavior? check! Fortunately for us, putting Lana in a time out in the corner is ultimate humiliation, so this still is our method, but she has added to the crazy crying a whole lotta screeching and screaming while serving her time out. Its been bad lately and its frustrating b/c when she is listening, we have so much fun together.

I love how Seren is taking her brother with her when she lives somewhere else! LOVE IT!