Tuesday, April 1, 2008

We'll be leaving on a jet plane!

We are headed to Oakland/Berkeley and San Fran tomorrow! I am so excited! I get goosebumps just thinking about seeing my friends, having them all meet Seren, etc. Our friends are throwing us a party as well. I can't wait to breathe in the CA air, go hiking, etc. I am also praying that all goes well on the long flight. If she is in half the mood that she was in last night- it will be a LONG, long flight.

We tried to keep her up late last night to slowly move her bedtime along. Bad idea. She got VERY angry. At EVERYTHING! The highlight of the night? When she was SO mad at me that she stared me in the eye and bit down on a wooden egg that goes with our play kitchen. It was as if to say, "Take that! I'm mad and I want you to know it." These nights wear my soul out and make me feel like I've completely failed. But then, once she is asleep, I realize that this is normal. That we are doing our best and that messing with schedules is never a good thing. Sigh.

I am going to have to fight every one of my "control" instincs and just go with it. What happens, happens. She wakes up at 3? I'm ok with that. She goes to bed for the night at 5? I'll work on being ok with that too. If she throws a fit during church? People have seen that before too. I imagine we may need a vacation right after our vacation but I'm thrilled to be seeing old friends, reconnecting with favorite places and lets face it, EATING in the Bay Area in a matter of hours! Sam and I will also try to fit in a trip to the garden we got married in. We will be visiting the place Sam proposed. It means a great deal to me to take our child there as well.

Here we go! Ready or not, here we come! We have tylenol, motrin, several Elmo bandaids and more books than I can count. I *think* we are ready.

3 comments:

Laura S said...

Have so much fun you guys!! We leaving on vacation also in a few days (Saturday) and I too am excited. As my friend says, just remember that vacations after kids are nothing like vacations before kids and go with the flow.

LauraC said...

Have a great trip! I can't wait to hear travel tips when you get back because we leave next Thursday for a wedding in Ohio.

Oh we also winged it with the boys this weekend... put them to bed whenever, laid down with them since they were sleeping in BEDS!, let them eat while running around the house. It was the exact opposite of what life is usually like at our house and it was LIBERATING!

Beth said...

Have a wonderful time Megan! I hope everything goes fantabulous, and if it doesn't, I'm sure you guys will adjust. Can't wait to hear about the trip when you get back.