Monday, July 23, 2007

Another first

No, the first wasn't that she had another word or learned to run...This weekend my husband and I spent one whole night away from our 14 month old. That was a first! We hadn't gone away by ourselves since way before Seren was born. We anticipated it so much. We escaped to Lancaster County in rural PA. It was wonderful to be among the tall corn crops and fresh air. It was also odd.

For one thing, we didn't speak in high pitched tones.
For another, I had trouble relaxing. As a mom, I am a multi-tasker. I am cleaning a tub while singing itsy-bitsy. I am driving to work while calling the dentist. I don't just sit. I never have but being a mom has amplified this problem 10 fold.
So, we tried to just sit. We finally succeeded by dinner.

And by Sunday evening,we were back to just being 'us'. It was an odd combination of feeling 'free' but also feeling like we were missing something. Someone wasn't around. No one was kissing our knees, picking our noses or smearing bits of food unto our shoulders. We missed her.

But would I do it again? Spend quality time with my best friend? Absolutely.

We returned much better (and happier) parents.

No comments: