Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mom the Historian

I have always enjoyed history. My father taught high school history for 38 years to high school students. My brother and I have seen every place that Lincoln slept, ate or might have slept and ate. It is no wonder that my love of history has turned into historical 'record keeping'. This role has expanded as a mom.

I want to capture it all. On camera. On video. On paper. Her firsts. Her schedules. Her teeth. I want to try to capture her personality. It is all so fleeting. On my desk at work are pictures of my daughter at 4-6 months. That seems like a different child. I just can't seem to get my mind around 'that' Seren. And I"m sure weeks from now, I'll forget what Seren enjoyed. I know I won't be able to capture these moments adequately. Or that I'll even come close to capturing the joy...but I can try.

She has been an angel for the past three weeks and sleeping in til 6:15. Which is just heaven. That period of 3 weeks where she woke up at 5 am every day was painful! It was a combination of the sun coming up and her learning to walk. She bettter start now!

And so this blog is also a way of capturing our daughter. She continues to be a sponge. Dadda taught her 'elbow' last week. Two weeks ago she learned to 'hoot' for an owl and 'buzz' for a bee. One night, I just taught her the sign language sign for 'more'. And she started to use it immediately! I know from other people's blogs that this is all the rage. Our human sponges. It just is amazing. You go from growing a belly, fearing stretch marks, and fearing labor, to learning to breastfeed and pump, to worrying about how to get back to your prepregnancy size, to becoming a happy but exhausted mother of a new born to a friend of a toddler who is fully formed in her own unique way.

It should seem obvious. But it isn't. I am just a big, big fan of our daughter.

Hope I can capture her in all of her toddler glory.

No comments: