Friday, January 25, 2008

Yoga- All about ME

Last night I went to Yoga at this fancy yoga studio. Finally! I have been meaning to make this a practice of mine for years. Last Thursday, I was so excited to venture out- only to have 3 inches of snow arrive. The roads were a mess, I stayed home. But last night, I did it.

I was surprised by how disconnected I felt from my body. When one sits at a desk job all day, then sits in the car going home, a body forgets how to move. I also found myself experiencing a range of motions. I was giggly as I fumbled around on my mat. "Which foot is my left foot? And what am I supposed to do about it?" I also felt relaxed and at peace. (Which is unusual for me.) I also felt a bit nervous. (Which isn't unusual for me.) I was supposed to get there way early to not be rushing around but I got there a few minutes late. I had to enter the classroom and was very aware of all of the social faux- pas I might be making. Do I wear socks? Do I need to roll out my mat? Where should I sit? Do I need my water bottle?

My mind, shall we say, wasn't exactly "at rest".

But then there was the beautiful instructor who was tall and toned. She reminded me of my good friend Shelly. She would come over to all of us and reposition us. Make sure we were breathing. Her hands were warm and encouraging. But I really struggled to just "let go" and "melt". I felt myself thinking, "Maybe I should tell her I'm new." But I'm sure THAT much was obvious.

I think that this will be an amazing experience.

The best part is the last pose where basically you lie prone on the floor. I have done some yoga so I knew this was coming but man, did it feel good. And then, the instructor, while you are lying there, comes over to you in the half dark and massages your neck with lavender oil! Does it get any better? Seriously. It felt like eating chocolate cake only better.

I really want to do this weekly so that I can practice being in that space of letting go and relaxing. And focusing on ME and my body.

Namaste!

2 comments:

Laura S said...

Yay you are finding something to do to make time for you. I have gotten into knitting again. I find it very relaxing, although my body needs something to do too! I gotta run!

Laura

LauraC said...

Yay for alone time! Glad to hear yoga was so great, I'm sure over the weeks you will be able to relax more and more. I wish someone would write me a prescription for a weekend of savasana.