Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ice Skating



My mom used to ice skate competitively. Growing up, I thought she was the coolest mom ever. (ok, so I still think she is a great mom). When I would go ice skating with my friends, my mom would go out into the middle of the rink and spin and jump. How cool is THAT? For my 10th birthday party, a whole group of my friends went ice skating and I couldn't get over how cool she was.

So I suppose it should come as no surprise that my mom was REALLY excited about taking Seren ice skating. Sam and I both thought this could be a potential disaster. Readers may remember how much she "enjoyed" the snow. Maybe Seren just doesn't "do" winter sports. What if they drove all the way to the rink only to have her burst into tears? Despite our strong misgivings, we gave it a shot.

Sam and Seren met my parents at the rink last Thursday. As soon as she saw my mom gliding around the rink, she started to smile. My mom took her out on the ice in her little shoes to see if she liked it. She did! Three pairs of rental skates later, Seren was "skating". What a great sensation it must be to be dragged around the ice! Seren had a grand time. But we all agreed that while Seren had a good time, my mom had a GREAT time. We all look forward to one or two things that we can't wait for our children/grandchildren to be able to do. And clearly, for my mom, getting my daughter on skates was high on the list.

So they are going skating again today. This time, Sam will also join the team on the ice. Only, he doesn't need little skates. He has a mighty size 13 foot. Hope they make 'em that big.

3 comments:

LauraC said...

I can not believe you can attach blades to toddler's feet and have that be legal. I am trying to imagine me, Jon, Nate and Alex on ice skates and all the injuries that would occur.

Cute cute cute mini-ice skater!

Beth said...

I'm with Laura. Holy disaster for the Hahns! Actually, Ed is a really good skater. He played ice hockey in junior high. He would love to get William on the ice. We'll have to check that out! That's awesome that your mom can share it with Seren!

Laura S said...

I love the photos of your mom with Seren. She looks over the moon. I am glad a good time was had by all. Perhaps we have the next star on our hands :).